Town of Derry NH, Derry Conservation Commission, Beaver Lake Improvement Association
PROJECT: Beaver Lake Watershed Stream Teams
Project Description: Using the NHRSAT (New Hampshire Rapid Stream Assessment Technique) to complete the creation of a baseline map assessing the Beaver Lake watershed in the areas of erosion and biological health.
Position Available: Summer 2016 (can work with Intern’s schedule)
Job Title: Intern
Job Description: This position serves as the stream teams leader for the Beaver Lake watershed, in Derry, New Hampshire. As such, he/she will for a period of 10 hours per week over ten weeks, train and supervise a team of Pinkerton Academy high school students in the employment of the NHRSAT, compile and maintain a database which will yield a site assessment score for the Beaver Lake watershed and create a report on the findings. Some pre-project meetings required during month of May.
Academic Qualifications: It is preferred (but each candidate will be assessed on his/her merits) that the intern be a student pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in an appropriate discipline, with:
- Background in stream ecology, aquatic biology and environmental science;
- Experience in the collection and identification of aquatic macro- invertebrates to the Family level, in wadeable streams;
- Experience with topographic maps, terrestrial navigation, and terrain interpretation;
- Experience with hand-held GPS data collection units;
- Knowledge of watershed delineations, stream function and habitat characteristics, as well as an understanding of impacts to stream corridors and water quality from anthropogenic sources;
- Clear understanding of point sources and non-point source pollution and how they each impact surface and groundwater resources; and the
- Ability to recognize distinct changes and transitions within stream corridors.
Personal Qualifications: It is preferred that the candidate demonstrates:
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong communication skills, especially with high school students;
- Leadership and success in motivating volunteer forces to support projected goals; and
- First-aid and CPR certifications;
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is required that the student arrange for credit for this internship at the Institution where he/she is pursuing his/her degree. Evidence of course registration, advisor’s approval and proof of institutional liability coverage required before the internship commences.
To Apply: Please send a letter of application, a resume and contact information of at least two references (one academic and one other) to email@example.com. Telephone and personal interviews will be required if the candidate’s application progresses through the initial screening.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED.